Time to expand? I think...just maybe. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Time to expand? I think...just maybe.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Carpet cleaning convention, with some trashed CGD...that's AWESOME. Somebody's FIRED.

Johnny - I've been thinking the same thing about the drying rack. We had a pretty nice movable version that had casters on the bottom. Slide it over here, slide it over there, and do what you will with it. Advice appreciated.

Todd, thanks for getting that info.

As far as Dusty and the Rug Lovers go...I'm of mixed emotions. Those guys know their stuff. Dusty's email campaigns are a bit annoying, but SpongoBongo on here is pretty damned intelligent when it comes to rug construction and identification.

Do you guys know about PCN (Pro-Cleaner's Network)? There are some pretty good speakers in there. Tuesday is CC night, usually, and Wednesday is for anything and everything rugs.

Check out Procleanersnetwork.com/Pro-Cleaners-Clubhouse.html, and see what you think. I've not been in there much lately, but it's pretty helpful.

davenjai

Dec 16, 2009
Peachtree City, GA
Real Name
David Tassa
Business Location
United States
Now they had some drying racks that I will make very easily. I think they said $3,500 for one of these.

20 flippin years ago I played around with how to hang a rug. Hanging a rug in the middle with a 4'' pipe, leads to nothing but huge puckers on each side. If you don't have the ceiling height, lay them flat on the floor. If you do? Hang them by an end like every other real rug plant in the world.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
20 flippin years ago I played around with how to hang a rug. Hanging a rug in the middle with a 4'' pipe, leads to nothing but huge puckers on each side. If you don't have the ceiling height, lay them flat on the floor. If you do? Hang them by an end like every other real rug plant in the world.

Save yourself $3,500 too by laying them down to dry.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
I wish I had pics of the rug plant I learned to clean rugs at.

Stationary butler system, big rug beater system, several cleaning tanks, and a huge drying rack with motorized lifts. Also the 6 foot fans at the end of the building to change the air several times a minute was really impressive!

Reactions: Joseph Rogers

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
If they hadn't broke into my garage and stolen all my stuff, welder included, I'd give a try at making one of those wands.
Do you know how to weld stainless steel? I got the welder lets make it one of this days. We'll bring the slotted piece to the machine shop so they can make the slot for us. We can also build the pit at your place or mine and share it like Torrey and Eyeball. call me we got to get on it like yesterdsay. BTW let's come and see my friend at his muffler shop with the pics and have him quote on one.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
*laughing*

I am doing the exact same thing. I've got a machinist friend who I'm going to take the pics to, and see if he can help me out.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Do you know how to weld stainless steel? I got the welder lets make it one of this days. We'll bring the slotted piece to the machine shop so they can make the slot for us. We can also build the pit at your place or mine and share it like Torrey and Eyeball. call me we got to get on it like yesterdsay. BTW let's come and see my friend at his muffler shop with the pics and have him quote on one.
Martin, What kind of welder do you have? I only did stainless steel welding once and it came out terrible. I'm no good at stainless steel.
But I was thinking. Couldn't we do it with galvanized pipe? It weighs a lot but that's what we want, some weight on it.
As far as putting together a rug pit at my mom's house or yours, we can do that too.
When is a good time to talk? And if we're doing lunch I am buying this time, you keep taking the check and I don't like that.:mad:

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
*laughing*

I am doing the exact same thing. I've got a machinist friend who I'm going to take the pics to, and see if he can help me out.

Keep us posted will you? Maybe we could all get them made by the same guy and get a price break that way.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
After I saw the wand I would never buy one, it is too easy to make one. Use 2 inch PVC for the head and a metal water pole for the rest. The wand really did not do a good job of rinsing anyway. You should have seen how dirty the water was that came out of the rug when they put it in the centrifuge. I think using a hose like Ross and Torrey are doing right now works better.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
That was the one beef I had, it would rinse a lot of dirt out of the rug, but when we hung it, water would drip out and the fringe would be dirty, requiring detailing.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That was the one beef I had, it would rinse a lot of dirt out of the rug, but when we hung it, water would drip out and the fringe would be dirty, requiring detailing.
I think something with a little more pressure would work better.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Uh-oh...I can hear the wheels turning in Todd's head, ya'll!

Todd, we got your back. Figure it out, and we'll shout it to the world. We'll even buy them from you...;)

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Been out at Lowe's again, walking the aisles and pondering this thread.

Todd the Cleaner: How much pressure are you talking about? With rug construction, you don't want to use much, I'd think. 100-200 psi MAX, I'd say. Even less on delicate rugs. When using that blue rug wand at the old company, on old and beat up rugs, that by itself would wash a tremendous amount of fiber out. Rugs like that, agitation is the last thing you want.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Been out at Lowe's again, walking the aisles and pondering this thread.

Todd the Cleaner: How much pressure are you talking about? With rug construction, you don't want to use much, I'd think. 100-200 psi MAX, I'd say. Even less on delicate rugs. When using that blue rug wand at the old company, on old and beat up rugs, that by itself would wash a tremendous amount of fiber out. Rugs like that, agitation is the last thing you want.
not too much pressure, I actually think more volume than pressure. Really you don't need any more pressure than you get out of a nozzle from a garden hose. That wand just seemed to be a real low flow low pressure tool. I will go over to the home depot tuesday and look around and do some thinking about it too.