Titan 875 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Titan 875

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
So my titan'875 is surging when put under load. After about 2 minutes of running it surges rpm. The vac and pump still work, good but it will start to die after a while. Replaced plug wires, checked injectors. Cannot figure it out.
Any ideas?

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
So my titan'875 is surging when put under load. After about 2 minutes of running it surges rpm. The vac and pump still work, good but it will start to die after a while. Replaced plug wires, checked injectors. Cannot figure it out.
Any ideas?
Sounds like a fuel problem

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Thats what I was thinking but we are getting plenty of fuel to the injectors according to an injector test.
How many hours? Injectors can still work and be wonky. If pressure to the rail is good I'd go with new injectors. Put one in at a time and test. FWIW, I have found remanufactured ones for less than half price.

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
How many hours? Injectors can still work and be wonky. If pressure to the rail is good I'd go with new injectors. Put one in at a time and test. FWIW, I have found remanufactured ones for less than half price.
4100. I will look into replacing the i jectors. Thinking about bringing to repair shop next week instead of throwing parts at it... hate going to repair shops however.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Yes, it can run at idle no problem. As soon as I turn up rpm it will surge.
demand of more fuel volume could be the case but It can also be other components like the blower bearings causing trouble.

If you can, Isolate the engine and run at full throttle see what it does. That way you eliminate a big deal of the guess work.

also, clean all of your electrical connectors make sure those are tight specially ground. If you have a multimeter, check for solid 12 to 14 volts at all of your grounds and positives. You will be surprised how a voltage drop can make you spend thousands of dollars and with patience and little time you can fix it with no money spent.

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
demand of more fuel volume could be the case but It can also be other components like the blower bearings causing trouble.

If you can, Isolate the engine and run at full throttle see what it does. That way you eliminate a big deal of the guess work.

also, clean all of your electrical connectors make sure those are tight specially ground. If you have a multimeter, check for solid 12 to 14 volts at all of your grounds and positives. You will be surprised how a voltage drop can make you spend thousands of dollars and with patience and little time you can fix it with no money spent.
Will be doing multi meter checks tomorrow. I will also pull accessory belts. Funny you bring up electrical. We just had a battery die on the unit at less than a year old. Could for sure be a short or bad connection.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Check fuel psi at the engine while running with a load on it.

Reactions: mikevee

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Will be doing multi meter checks tomorrow. I will also pull accessory belts. Funny you bring up electrical. We just had a battery die on the unit at less than a year old. Could for sure be a short or bad connection.

The above comment should be your number one step. While the engine is isolated
1.- make sure your pump is receiving the right voltage.
2.- If you don't own, rent a pressure gage and measure the psi at the rail
3.- If there is any, check your pressure regulator is working to specs
4.- Check for leaky injectors.

all this assuming you have made sure your plugs, wires and coil / coils are in good working order.

If your fuel delivery turns out to be OK then troubleshoot your ignition system.

Don't forget to isolate the engine

If you need help on this let me know I may be able to help

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
The above comment should be your number one step. While the engine is isolated
1.- make sure your pump is receiving the right voltage.
2.- If you don't own, rent a pressure gage and measure the psi at the rail
3.- If there is any, check your pressure regulator is working to specs
4.- Check for leaky injectors.

all this assuming you have made sure your plugs, wires and coil / coils are in good working order.

If your fuel delivery turns out to be OK then troubleshoot your ignition system.

Don't forget to isolate the engine

If you need help on this let me know I may be able to help
I am going to see if there is any vapor locking going on as well. Relieve all fuel system pressure. I think it could be an injector problem, the mechanic I was with today was certain it was not a fuel issue. He is leaning towards the map sensor or the throttle positioning sensor.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
The coil packs on those units can be problematic due to the heat. I would get a spark checker and make sure you have solid spark on all 4 cylinders. Also look for any arching coming off the coil pack. It's located on the back side of the engine.

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
The coil packs on those units can be problematic sure to the heat. I would get a spark checker and make sure you have solid spark on all 4 cylinders. Also look for any arching coming off the coil pack. It's located on the back side of the engine.
I replaced all wires and the plugs are clean. Will use my spark tester tomorrow. A missfire would set off the cel though right? Currently the cel is not illimunating

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I am going to see if there is any vapor locking going on as well. Relieve all fuel system pressure. I think it could be an injector problem, the mechanic I was with today was certain it was not a fuel issue. He is leaning towards the map sensor or the throttle positioning sensor.
I doubt either sensor is the culprit but they can cause that type of trouble as well. Hope you solve the issue soon

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
I doubt either sensor is the culprit but they can cause that type of trouble as well. Hope you solve the issue soon
Im just happy I have more than one truck so I can take my time

Reactions: Pinosan

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Not necessarily. The ecu doesn't know it's not firing. It will only trip the cel if it runs long enough to trigger a bad o2 sensor reading or senses an rich condition

Reactions: mikevee