Toxic Carpet Cleaners Killed Her Pets! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Toxic Carpet Cleaners Killed Her Pets!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
I-Team 10 investigates: Fatal fumes

It was supposed to clean her carpets, but a local woman said it also killed her pets. I-Team 10 is looking into a Greece woman's claims that her pets died from fumes after she steam cleaned her carpets. Was the label on the carpet cleaning solution misleading? I-Team 10 takes a closer look.

The empty cage is a painful reminder of the helplessness Rene Bulger felt.

"This is like a child to me,” Bulger said. “I was very close to my bird."

Her bird's name was Baby, a cockatiel she got four years ago and trained it to talk and whistle.

Bulger said, "He'd sit on my shoulder. Eat off me, liked to eat pasta. He was just a very different type of bird."

The cockatiel was in its cage Wednesday along with a companion bird, a parakeet. Just minutes after Bulger finished shampooing her carpets with a steam cleaner she noticed something was wrong with her favorite bird.
"His heart was racing really fast and he was gasping for air, and I grabbed him and was like, oh my God, what's wrong, what's wrong," Bulger said.

Her cockatiel died, and an hour later the parakeet was dead as well.

"I didn't know what to do for him. I was just holding him,” said Bulger.
Bulger believes her birds died from the carpet cleaning solution's fumes.

Veterinarian Dr. Gerald Balonek said it’s not that unusual. The doctor said any strong fumes from air fresheners to paint to scented candles can be fatal to birds.

"The fumes will affect...they have lungs and they have these organs called air sacs and they become inflamed and they're part of the respiratory system and they just can't breath and they have a reaction to it,” Dr. Balonek said.
Bulger bought the Great Value brand of carpet cleaner from Wal-Mart. It's the pet formula that says it's designed for homes with pets and their problems.

Bulger said, "First thing that comes to mind is, can't hurt your pets. I didn't think nothing of it."

She said she has used other cleaners in the past without problems and always checks for warning labels that state if a product is harmful to animals. The Great Value Carpet cleaner cautions only to keep out of reach of children.
Bulger called the Wal-Mart store where she got the carpet cleaner and was told she has to fill out a complaint form. I-Team contacted Wal-Mart headquarters in Arkansas about the product. A spokesperson tells I-Team 10 that product safety is a top priority and they are investigating Bulger's claims.

Source: http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S385691.shtml?cat=565

J Parks

Apr 27, 2008
Maryland
Real Name
Jeffery Parks
Business Location
United States
Yes, hwat you said is exactly right . Toxic carpet cleaners will kill our pets. Even it will effets over health that leads to the ill-health. Ithik eco-friendly methids should be used for the cleaning purpose.

Thanks.

raz

Apr 27, 2008
Its really bad on the part of the pet. Atleast all of you know wake-up and stop using toxic products today it has killed an pet but tomorow it even might kill us. please, avoid using toxic products use the natural products.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
One of the first news reports on TMF. I don't know about carpet cleaning but I do know about pest control. All our products require removal of birds due to delicate respiratory systems. If I am using a strong product then I would probably suggest they move birds out of the immediate area.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I came pretty close to killing a dog once years ago. Of all things, it was the deodorizer I used that made the dog pretty sick, so that she had to rush it to the vet. Fortunately it lived. It made me more sensitive to applying anything with a stronger scent around animals of any type. Same thing goes for around the elderly or people who already have breathing problems. I never purchased another gallon of that deodorizer from Spartan Chemical company. The deodorizer smelled great with a floral scent,and it worked well, but I guess it was too much for the small dogs lungs. I was so relieved to hear it was ok. The old lady had the dog out while I was cleaning and let it back in immediately afterwards. I think the house was closed up w/ poor ventilation. Anyway, the little dog lived to "pee" another day and many, many more pees after that. So happy ending.:)

If I'm around small children, babies, small pets, elderly, or anyone with breathing problems in the least, I will usually switch to a very low VOC chemical and use as little as possible. A lot of times I'll just mix up some Klenz and do everything with that. I've been using Chemeisters Proliminator for years now w/o issues for a number of odor related issues. I now make it a point to at least try and get anyone who might be affected out of the areas being cleaned or even out of the house if possible.

Mother Hubbard

Jan 12, 2013
Real Name
Shawn
I always ask people to leave the room while I at least put the pre spray down. why subject them to that . especially pregnant and the elderly.

Joseph Fortner

Apr 3, 2013
Real Name
Joseph Fortner
That news is not good because i always call for my cleaning services.In Helsinki Finland i find the best cleaning services and as of now i never been heard any bad news for them but still i am worrying about it.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
As the vet in the article stated, birds especially have extremely sensitive respiratory systems. I have even heard of birds getting sick from aerosol of water sprayed into the air. They inhale the small droplets of water and it harms their lungs. Even more so for anything with a fragrance.

Remove all birds and other pets from the area when spraying anything. Keep them away for at least 4 hours so that any mist in the air has time to settle. Proper spraying practices, (right sized tips, right pressure, proper use of and and so forth) help assure that no excessive mist is in the air.

The problem is not really dangerous chemicals. The problem is anything in the air. Keep the birds away from the cleaning location.

Frank Bartley

Aug 5, 2013
Real Name
Frank Bartley
No doubt that an toxic can kill your pets.In Finland country i never heard yet some pet killed because of cleaning carpet in fact in part of Helsinki there is a cleaning service or toimistosiivous that use some chemical stuff and it clean the home or office including carpet in safety way.

Brian Jones

Jul 17, 2013
Real Name
Brian Jones
toxic... must have been one of those deadly portables huh.. .....;)

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
A lady asked if my products were safe for allergies and asthma and I insured her it is because I have many more allergies than the average allergic person and asthma to boot so I insured her that I would be in big trouble cleaning carpets if my products weren't safe for those conditions! never had a problem!!