What's the hottest temp water that you'd send through your portable? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What's the hottest temp water that you'd send through your portable?

In19944

Jun 28, 2017
Real Name
doug frenz
I know on pressure washers, you cannot use really hot water without damaging the pump. I assume it's the same for a porty. Is hot tap water too hot(120ish degrees)?

Thanks

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Most are 140 ish max inlet temp. But if you're adding from a filled bucket the temp will drop rapidly. I never worried about it. If you hook up pump direct to building plumbing like say the water otter that could cause issue.

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I know on pressure washers, you cannot use really hot water without damaging the pump. I assume it's the same for a porty. Is hot tap water too hot(120ish degrees)?

Thanks
That will be determined by 1 or 2 things or both of them. Believe me I had to find out the hard way just like about everything else I know. Primarily it's the limit of the pump temperature which is most commonly 140 degrees. There are some that go higher. Going over the stated threshold will cause either damage to the pump or a thermal shutoff switch to activate which is a bummer! The other thing is not as obvious. It is the temperature limit of the internal hoses of the machine as well as those you connect to it. If you put really hot water into some machines the hoses may burst or come loose from their fittings causing a mess. Just ask me how I know! :mad: This part can probably be modified fairly easy on most machines. Most portables can take some pretty hot water, but the pump and the pressure lines could be an issue.

It's best if you want really hot water to have it after the pump or outside the machine. On my old Castex DVA I found a pump that worked in my machine that could take 180 degrees. I was pumping in about 150 to 160 degrees into the machine with a propane heater. Still, I occasionally would set off the thermal switch and had to wait as much as 30 minutes or more for that thing to reset itself. I eventually went with an external Little Giant so all the water in the machine was cold or barely warm.

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
repeat post

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
intank immersion heaters are common on many uk portables ... the max on the dial is usually 60celsius ( 140F )

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My .02 pumptec handles 140°, the aquatecs handle 170° and my hypro 5321 handles 180°. I use the aquatecs in parallel and prefer them to anything else I have ever used. Amazing flow, big jets, biggest droplets hitting the carpet, lighter weight, bulletproof and fast cleaning with no clean streaks like with puny jets.

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
My .02 pumptec handles 140°, the aquatecs handle 170° and my hypro 5321 handles 180°. I use the aquatecs in parallel and prefer them to anything else I have ever used. Amazing flow, big jets, biggest droplets hitting the carpet, lighter weight, bulletproof and fast cleaning with no clean streaks like with puny jets.
What’s the aquatec model you’re referring to Jim?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Generally 140 degrees. Typically in home hot tap water will be 120 - 140 degrees. Commercial buildings can sometimes be hotter. A restaurant I did the hot water from the tap at the wash sink in the back was actually 185.

Reactions: Jim Davisson