Which is the better portable machine Amtex Prowler or Jaguar 8.4 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Which is the better portable machine Amtex Prowler or Jaguar 8.4

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i do believe a smaller tank with a pumpout will increase vacuum depending if you use a wand or bonzer/zipper...

ben built a portable tm(prowler???) that uses a blower that allows water to go through....
therefore he has no tank but a pumpout and it is supposed to get much better vacuum wo a tank........

i think it is a 33 blower...but it may be loud wo a silencer!!!!

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Johnny
what amtex models have you owned? Im wondering if the portables are better then the true truckmounts amtex has to offer?

I wouldn't buy another Amwreck. I had the 30/47 Stack Inferno. But my friends who had the Dragon also had just as much or more trouble as I did.

Feb 21, 2015
Real Name
Stephen Proulx
Hello everyone, I am working on my business plan for starting my own Carpet and Tile cleaning company. I have solidified everything except for equipment. I want to make sure that I am versatile and can maximize the equipment that I buy for at least the first two years while I get established and make some money.

I am leaning towards an Amtex Prowler 14hp, because it has heat and is portable, because I can run it from my van or move it close to buildings if I have a bigger job. I live in a large metro-plex and I worry about the perception I would have from using a portable. All of the operations around my area that I have seen use truckmounts. The prowler new is going to run me about 7500 new, with a wand, 150 feet of vac/solution hoses. I am planning on serving higher-end residential homes and targeting mostly small commercial.

With the Jaguar, I have heard good things about it, but it doesn't have heat, so I would have to have an external heater. Seems like it would add extra time to setup versus something that is gas powered, and I have to use customers electricity. Will this unit work if I buy a generator?

Amtex Prowler
http://amtexequipment.com/prowler14hp.php

What are you thoughts between these two machines, are their other machines out there that I should be considering?
Don't get Jag cross American machines are junk filled with design flaws they are generic
From new leaking quick connects
Recovery tank half full and sucking dirty water through vac motors

The best brand is ninja
Dual 3 stage 500 psi classic or warrior

Reactions: JRH

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Johnny
what amtex models have you owned? Im wondering if the portables are better then the true truckmounts amtex has to offer?
Just think about that question. If gas powered portables was a really good idea. Wouldn’t more companies have followed behind the prowler by now with their models?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
A portable with vacuum cleaners motors cannot compare or match the efficiency and power of a combustion-able engine with a positive displacement blower. Yes, Amtex has had some model issues, and so have all manufacturers thats a fact.

Also a fact, Amtex sold around 200 machines last year. I am not saying buy one as thats each indivuals choice. I am saying several 100 a year buy them and many 1000's over the last decade chose a truck mount so weigh that against a portable regardless of brand or model truck mount.

Reactions: Rory henderson

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Come on Rob, my 2 vacuum cleaners motor can give me the performance of your TM. Their is a real this board has become a porty forum board. Well maybe, if your running the new SS 870 triple wand.

Reactions: rob allen

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
A portable with vacuum cleaners motors cannot compare or match the efficiency and power of a combustion-able engine with a positive displacement blower. Yes, Amtex has had some model issues, and so have all manufacturers thats a fact.

Also a fact, Amtex sold around 200 machines last year. I am not saying buy one as thats each indivuals choice. I am saying several 100 a year buy them and many 1000's over the last decade chose a truck mount so weigh that against a portable regardless of brand or model truck mount.
I don't think anybody will argue that ETM/has the same level of performance as a gas.
The thing a lot of people need to consider though is there budgetary concerns. As well as location. And your business image

for example live in an area where freezing is a serious concern I'm not talking a little concern I'm talking it gets flipping cold you got to keep your house warm weather or not your garage stays that way is another question. So high-powered portable may be right for you. You also need to make your business image match this scenario

Or you have a very limited budget let's say $10,000 you could spend $5,000 (orless) down on a vehicle
2500 on a okay portable spend a little on advertising and the rest on all the other stuff.

Think of your business image first though if you go there was a bunch of clapped-out beat up stuff what are your clients going to think

People also have to decide what they like I do a lot of shut door policy buildings so I have to have portables as well as the weather does not permit gas TM way to flippin cold half the year!!

So I tell people if you live south of Indianapolis go gas!! North of Indy consider your options by the time you hit Michigan it makes it difficult to do gas but it can be done I did it for many years.

Once you hit the upper peninsula Michigan
Have your IQ checked lol. But after that pretty much portables the way to go.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Come on Rob, my 2 vacuum cleaners motor can give me the performance of your TM. Their is a real this board has become a porty forum board. Well maybe, if your running the new SS 870 triple wand.
I understand where that is coming from. TM's haven't done much in a while and portables have made significant advances. 2 cord machines are matching 33 blower performance at distance and since portables have always owned 60%+ of the carpet cleaning market they are getting more talked about, upgraded and purchased. So many markets don't make sense to use a portable or ETM now, but fast forward 5 years and I believe we will be in a different marketplace. Electric and VLM is coming on strong.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I understand where that is coming from. TM's haven't done much in a while and portables have made significant advances. 2 cord machines are matching 33 blower performance at distance and since portables have always owned 60%+ of the carpet cleaning market they are getting more talked about, upgraded and purchased. So many markets don't make sense to use a portable or ETM now, but fast forward 5 years and I believe we will be in a different marketplace. Electric and VLM is coming on strong.
This is a great point Jim. Just look at all the debate that has been about LX&8.4 or even the 6.6 2 stage or even high power electro. It is quite a fiery discussion on which is better and frankly they're all great These motors are by no means weak vacuum cleaner motors. That's why I personally been working on power management and I've had some amazing findings. I have to hold off on disclosing too much information. But needless to say you can match the power of a 36 in both Lift and cfm's. it will not be long till we see EMTs matching the power of gas. On just two chords it will not be too much longer till we see it matching a 45.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Honestly, my brother and I side by side with me on one of our portables and him on one of our 45 blower TM'S there is no difference cleaning speed or results up to 150'. He has more heat and I have more flow by 1/2 GPM. I'll take flow all day at lower heat...

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Honestly, my brother and I side by side with me on one of our portables and him on one of our 45 blower TM'S there is no difference cleaning speed or results up to 150'. He has more heat and I have more flow by 1/2 GPM. I'll take flow all day at lower heat...
Flow is definitely King #1 heat is the queen#2 and pressures the prince#3 but you try to explain that to some of these guys and you're in for a fight!!! Lol

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My order is different. Observation of soiling is #1, the right chems are #2 and flow is #3. Heat is a distant #4 because I can overcome it with either time or concentration of chems for the soil load.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
My order is different. Observation of soiling is #1, the right chems are #2 and flow is #3. Heat is a distant #4 because I can overcome it with either time or concentration of chems for the soil load.
I was only referring to the attributes of the machine not the technician.
But yes you definitely need to look at the carpet first and decide what chemical to us lol
When the equipment is doing that for us we're all in trouble lol.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Haven't used a portable in 16 years.....
But I gotta agree with rob......

I am a spec guy.....
A d specs don't add up.......
No matter the new advances you are still limited to 2 -15 amp circuits

Now if the 45 blower isn't at full capacity with the correct motor ...that's diferent

And I gotta support the Michigan theory...gets cold up there

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i might actually use a mighty booster for long hose runs on my TM as I do theaters and 3rd-4th floor hotels.........250-300' hose runs

but like i said i dont believe we are getting full blower capacity on these TM...especially 45 and 47 blowers????

i did a 6 floor dorm when i first started.....ran my TM solution line down the middle of the stairs and used a ninja portable for vacuum with a pumpout

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Don't get Jag cross American machines are junk filled with design flaws they are generic

The best brand is ninja
Are you kidding me? I don't own a Jag but my friend does, and I've used them, and they are good portables. Give me a break.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens

The best brand is ninja
What kinda of crock is this? Your not getting away on this forum with that utter foolishness. Maybe you don’t like the machines, maybe your a friend with JRH, but nobody who’s ever used or owned one would agree with that bull. Get real. If you honestly think dual 3 stage, and 500 psi is a better machine the next a dual 8.4, 800 psi you and JRH (a guy who’s lost tons of respect here for his nonsense) should become good friends. Funny there’s a forum filled with info about Jaguars yet nobody mentions a single issue about leaky anything, poor design flaws, or sucking water through Vac motors. You and JRH have really funny imaginations. If your sucking water through Vac motors maybe you should stop using dish soap as your pre spray.

Last edited:

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I don't think anybody will argue that ETM/has the same level of performance as a gas.
The thing a lot of people need to consider though is there budgetary concerns. As well as location. And your business image

for example live in an area where freezing is a serious concern I'm not talking a little concern I'm talking it gets flipping cold you got to keep your house warm weather or not your garage stays that way is another question. So high-powered portable may be right for you. You also need to make your business image match this scenario

Or you have a very limited budget let's say $10,000 you could spend $5,000 (orless) down on a vehicle
2500 on a okay portable spend a little on advertising and the rest on all the other stuff.

Think of your business image first though if you go there was a bunch of clapped-out beat up stuff what are your clients going to think

People also have to decide what they like I do a lot of shut door policy buildings so I have to have portables as well as the weather does not permit gas TM way to flippin cold half the year!!

So I tell people if you live south of Indianapolis go gas!! North of Indy consider your options by the time you hit Michigan it makes it difficult to do gas but it can be done I did it for many years.

Once you hit the upper peninsula Michigan
Have your IQ checked lol. But after that pretty much portables the way to go.
Couldn’t agree with this post more! Well said. Well worded.
We have mths of sub freezing temps, often in the single digits. My ETM easily goes inside. My machine never freezes.
Doors... I don’t know why so many don’t have this issue but most of my clients want their door shut.
I think ETMs are a great way to go no matter the market. My Van got totalled, my ETM was in a Insurance Rental next day.
I don’t think for a second my machine has high end TM power. But it comes well enough for so much less cost I’m fine with that. Everyone wants more power. Wish I had it, when I do I can use a booster. But for a small trade off its got massive advantages. Budget. Start up costs are massive when first getting going. A ETM keeping costs reasonable is a huge positive.

Reactions: Ymetimme