Who is the world's greatest Carpet Cleaner? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Who is the world's greatest Carpet Cleaner?

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
The Best Carpet Cleaner is the man who works cleaning carpets all day. Upsells all the time, makes his customer's happy and still come home smile on face and hands his tips over to his wife. I'm just saying hands down the best.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
With a little effort anyone can clean carpets.. spray some stuff down and suck it up.. maybe pre-spot a few things..

The real question you guys should be asking who is the best business owner? Who here owns a TURNKEY business?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
How can we even decide this when most haven't seen others clean in person.
Lack of knowledge about who you cast your vote for has never seemed to be an obstacle. I'd bet that many members here know more about the other cleaners than a typical voters knows about who he voted for as president. :)

Reactions: GFloorMasters

Tom@britefloors

May 12, 2012
Kansas
Real Name
Tom Binyon
Business Location
United States
You should ALWAYS say and believe in yourself NO matter what....I feel I'm the best but I have to say there is a ton of great cleaners out here..... I spend whatever time is needed to get the job done timely and most importantly THOROUGHLY... Then I give customer 30 day guarantee so I really do the best I can do....been doing this over 25 years and NOTHING beat experience. I also have some of the same customers since opening doors and I'm even doing their children's carpets now.
Still can't believe you been at this so long. You just don't look that old!!

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
I think we need to make a few amendments, which I will do so, and will be making an edit to the OP.

This thread is taking a direction I was afraid of, it's turning into a popularity contest rather than an honest opinion of our technician's skills. Voting for the "greatest" carpet cleaner is for fun, and provides a little bit of prestige to the winner, but it does not mean you suck if you didn't get nominated. For example, I have not been nominated and I don't think I suck at carpet cleaning or running the business. I have vowed not to sulk about it either! :p

I see a lot of posters starting to vote for themselves in the thread which clearly breaks the rules, so just keep in mind your vote will not be counted if you proclaim yourself as the best.

There is some confusion about what the definition of "greatness" as a carpet cleaner is. Many seem to be leaning towards a cleaners personal level of popularity on the boards, or their reputation within the industry.
The responses are revealing some interesting data about what it is to be a "great" carpet cleaner. This could help to shape
rules for any future "carpet cleaner of the year" events.

For this particular event, keep in mind, this is about two things:

1. Skill of the technician. (Who do you think has the most skill)
2. Skill in operating a carpet cleaning business. (Have they been successful doing this job)

Posting about how someone has given themselves to charity, feeds the poor, hugs his kids every day, answers the phone and talks to you whenever you called, or single handedly saved the people of Syria makes them a great person, possibly even a Nobel Prize winner, but it does not make them a better carpet cleaner. It's not "world's greatest person" It is world's greatest carpet cleaner. Keep this in mind when considering your nomination. Just because a technician is "likeable" does not mean they are the world's greatest carpet cleaner. Someone who you may dislike on the boards may actually have more skills.

With that said, for those that wish to partake, please re-read the rules and because of the edit (we are learning as we go along here) you may redo your nomination if you wish.

After we have had all the feedback we can on this thread, we shall tally up the nominations into five technicians. Then you can
re-vote for the top man, in a separate thread based on an anonymous poll.

Mike Hanley

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Mike
I think what youre asking for is impossible Richard. I would have to SEE someone in action without them knowing they were being watched to truly be able to abide by your guidelines.

Over the internet anyone can make a video showing you the best cleaning you have ever seen. I think it boils down to overall person, and what you have seen. I mean, you could base it off of who takes the most vacations, because obviously they must be the best, because they can afford to take 5 vacations a year, since they are so good at what they do.

My vote was for a guy who is an overall good person, and shows great pictures of his work, and showing respect for customers homes. So if we dont include personality, then what do we have left? Should the thread be entitled "Who can clean carpets the best"? I think having a good personality, and helping others shows what type of person you are. In my opinion, if i had someone come clean my carpets that had a bad attitude, and didnt show respect for my home, and was a complete dick, they wouldnt be the "best"

I think everyone will like different people for different reasons, bu the fact of the matter is that most will think they are the best unless they see someone elses work in person.

ECOPRO

May 11, 2009
None
None.com
Real Name
None
Business Location
United States
With a little effort anyone can clean carpets.. spray some stuff down and suck it up.. maybe pre-spot a few things..

The real question you guys should be asking who is the best business owner? Who here owns a TURNKEY business?
Howard Partridge hands down runs the best business operation.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Holy crap guys, you couldn't get the hint? Okay I'll do it...

Richard I nominate you because your Canadian, and that just makes you better and you are...

Trained under IICRC certified courses as:
Carpet Cleaning technician
Carpet repair and re-installation technician
Odor control technician
Tile and Grout Cleaning Technician
Journeyman Water damage technician
Upholstery Cleaning technician
All-around swell sorta guy

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Holy crap guys, you couldn't get the hint? Okay I'll do it...

Richard I nominate you because your Canadian, and that just makes you better and you are...

Trained under IICRC certified courses as:
Carpet Cleaning technician
Carpet repair and re-installation technician
Odor control technician
Tile and Grout Cleaning Technician
Journeyman Water damage technician
Upholstery Cleaning technician
All-around swell sorta guy
1k , with him being Canadian that would make him the most polite Carpet Cleaner!

ASAP

Feb 1, 2011
Ca
Real Name
Pete DLP
Business Location
United States
Still can't believe you been at this so long. You just don't look that old!!
Well thanks! i believe it's because of my perfect marriage...I couldn't be happier...We don't fight or have that SOUR puss look on our faces everyday...Were just happy to be alive.

Reactions: Tom@britefloors

mr.cleansalot

Jun 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Real Name
fisher james
Business Location
United States
I say todd from what Iv seen on here he is always answering questions on all things related from carpet tile stone or anything. He has also biult up his biz fast . But since he brought steve up its made me think. I would like to thank all of you guys for the help you have given me .

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I nominate Kevin Warrington with Pro Care of Nashville. I taught him everything I know and then he learned some more from others. Very detail oriented. Doesn't leave a job until the client is thrilled. And No, I could not possibly be biased.

Reactions: wandwizard

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
I vote for a guy named bobofish.

You guys might know him. He can get any carpet it's cleanest with minimal time and effort. He simply magical with his wand.

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
While we're at it does anyone know how long a piece of string is?
Fifty Feet of course unless you're talking about English string and then that's a horse of a different color.

Agreed hard to vote for anyone unless we had some kind of self video necessary for entry.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
I was thinking about this thread today. I do believe it would be impossible to truly determine who is the greatest carpet cleaner in the world. First of all, there appears to be no guideline that can be agreed upon as to what we can make our assumption upon.
Second, as stated a few times already in this thread, how would we know truly how well a technician performs if we have never seen them, or their work? All we have to go on is what we see them post on these boards. Although a few votes were for people that were personally known such as Scott Warrington's vote. His vote is about as valid as you can get because of his personal experience with the tech.
Third, not everyone in the world has been considered that works in this industry. For example, the UFC puts a big gold belt on their
champion and calls him the "worlds Ultimate Fighter" and yet, I would believe there are some 70 year old Tai Chi masters in China
that could throw the guy out of the ring without even being touched. (And Tai Chi isn't even a fighting art) When I took martial arts I've seen guys like that and it was incredible to watch. So how can we call him the "ultimate fighter"? or, the "world's greatest"? We cannot truly.

One thing we can determine from this thread is we have learned a little bit about people's different opinions as to what makes a carpet cleaner "great" and that certainly counts for something on an educational basis.

Here is what I've learned from this thread, with a bit of my own personal opinion thrown in:

1. The world's greatest must have a charming personality with his/her customers and co-workers alike. He/she must be likeable.

2. The world's greatest must have a deep knowledge of cleaning chemistry, tools and technique.

3. The world's greatest can still, and will always learn his trade from anyone, including customers and even his own "pupils".

4. The world's greatest has minimal, if any, callbacks.

5. The world's greatest should run at least a 99% customer satisfaction rate.

6. The world's greatest should make a considerable profit and be able to easily charge top rate for his services.

7. The world's greatest is a wiz with fixing and maintaining his own equipment.

8. The world's greatest can, and will always remove stains that other techs could not.

9. The world's greatest is looked up to by other cleaners in his trade as a brilliant source of knowledge.

10. The world's greatest has worked full time for many years in his profession and is still working full time.

Feel free to add to this list.

As for the nominees, just for the fun of it, after a few more days we can tally up the top five "qualifying" nominees and put them in a poll thread for anonymous voting to get the great TMF "greatest carpet cleaner of the year" title.

Maybe Rob will throw in a prize!

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
I think we should all take a short video of a nasty carpet. Cleaning a small section to keep it shirt then bot on who is best.

Still wont be difinative but more accurate than a high school popularity contest.