Going to all VLM

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
On dirtier carpets definitely true.

But business is business and many times especially in commercial you can't compete with vlm rates trying to wand it.

We've knocked out some huge sq ft with the vibe recently, I would never wand or hwe of any kind on these areas. Wanding 10,000+ sqft sucks and it really sucks when the results are better with vlm
Wanded 5100 sq. ft today. The carpets appearance was pretty clean except for the spots (obviously). Kept thinking Hmm an OP machine would whip through this.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Wanded 5100 sq. ft today. The carpets appearance was pretty clean except for the spots (obviously). Kept thinking Hmm an OP machine would whip through this.
Hydrogen peroxide is your bestest friend. It helps with the spots. A quick hit with a brush will speed it along.

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Post bonnet.
I think I should have typed my post better.

To begin with, the carpets appearance was pretty clean looking except for occasional spots.

My go to formula pretty much knocked out all the spots. I had my CRB which made sure of it but most of the time my prespray which was BL > citrus solv > 02 booster just made everything disappear pretty much before scrubbing.

It almost feels like im cheating. Maybe a seasoned vet would dial back the prespray to only what was needed exactly instead of dosing it up so everything comes off?

Maybe that would be better somehow?

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Hydrogen peroxide is your bestest friend. It helps with the spots. A quick hit with a brush will speed it along.
I agree. I added 02 booster for sure. And I think Black Label might even have some in there by itself.

Some reason my mind always thinks the citrus solvent makes the dirt spots fall off the fibers and the 02 brightening..

Because I think a lot of CGD is olefin with maybe some poly ..

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I dont see any problem encapping in commercial, especially considering all the companies going lowball pricing you almost have to compete that way.

But for residential I feel truckmount will be king for a long time.

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Jobs where I HWE and then post bonnet, sometimes with a light prespray of a peroxide encap first, the end results beat either method on its own.
Interesting..

The thought of using an encap prespray crossed my mind especially when im handing already clean areas. I was thinking man maybe I could just spray encap and walk away.

Obviously, I just thought this but wanding square footage that by appearance levels is clean is kind of weird. Although, I reasoned that my auto dump in the toilet was dumping darkened water for sure so I was pulling dirt out of that 'clean carpet'.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Brave move. Congrats George.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
You WILL lose customers, "whether they tell you to your face or not," if you do that. You will say (insert sales pitch on LM,) and they will be thinking Im never using this guy again but I dont have the heart to tell him. IF you do a repeat give them the exact same experience they had last time otherwise it shows you aren't confident in either the first time you cleaned there house or the second time, one of the cleanings they will feel cheated.
Your better off selling all that LM stuff other than the Orbot and using that money to pay for the 2 week training of your new helper to help do the TM stuff you dont want to do. Then after 2 weeks they will pay their own wages as you can do at least enough extra carpet to pay their wage.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Interesting..

The thought of using an encap prespray crossed my mind especially when im handing already clean areas. I was thinking man maybe I could just spray encap and walk away.

Obviously, I just thought this but wanding square footage that by appearance levels is clean is kind of weird. Although, I reasoned that my auto dump in the toilet was dumping darkened water for sure so I was pulling dirt out of that 'clean carpet'.
You can clean, and then I'll come in the next day and clean, and someone will come in the next day and clean, and that person will probably still be pulling dirt out. We improve the appearance by reducing the soils in the carpet but you won't get 100% of the dirt out, not for a price that anyone will pay.

My standard process used to be to vac, HWE and then spray a light mixture of encap and then go over with a cotton bonnet. This was largely to get more water out of the carpet as my machine ran a single 3 stage vac and a fixed 500psi pump so it left the carpets damp. But I figured if I'm going over with a bonnet I might as well throw some more chemistry down. And I got great results! I stopped doing that every time as I got a better machine for HWE but honestly I might incorporate it again as standard practice just because the results were so great!

• Love
Reactions: smartcarpetcare

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I never said HWE gets 100% of the dirt, just it simply gets more dirt than Encap.

Again, not knocking Encap, but my philosophy is encap belongs in commercial, while HWE belongs residential.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Vlm can work in residential. But selling customers you already have on it will be tough. They cant understand the method and how it works so they revert back to wanting extraction. Some if mine lol starting dictating they want the "spinny thing used in this room, that room over in this corner but the rest steam cleaned". They saw how well it worked but couldnt grasp the idea how it worked. Now its not for every situation. Some stuff just has to be rinsed out. Padding it out will take far too long if its too far gone and flips the advantages of vlm.

I had to test for myself on heavy white cut pile. Kids threw mud, soda, beer, grape juice evrything at it. And i left it in my shed fo a week or so to really soak in. It came out. But i used 5 or 6 bonnets on half of this carpet. Extraction in that sitiation obviously would of beat it time wise. But in the end with a lot more work i got similar result.
20191024_160313.jpg

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I’ve been using BonnetPros Rocket prespray on all my synthetic upholstery jobs and some carpet cleaning jobs for almost a year now. I just bought another case that I plan on using on all synthetic carpet also and if it goes well it will be my go to on everything light to medium filthy stuff.

Reactions: george8585

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
3 days of scheduling low moisture and haven't lost any jobs yet. I did turn one down. Customer said she had a lot of bad pet stains. I recommended she get it flushed with HWE..

I will let steamers do the urine/trashed jobs from now on. I don't mind at all not doing them.

I did a small commercial carpet job today. ac/heating business. I do it every 3 months. Today was the first with Low Moisture. Looked just as good as with HWE and smelled great. I used my Orbot and Bonnet Pros Omegazyme. I used 40 oz of Omegazyme. That's about $12 it cost me to do that job. I charged them $250. Low Moisture is almost all profit.

I vacuumed first and then scrubbed with the Orbot carpet brush and then extracted with a microfiber bonnet.

EASY MONEY I didn't break a sweat ... lol

I did break a sweat Friday on two residential jobs. One was a 3 floor condo. I hate doing them. Two stairways. Carrying everything up and down. Residential is much harder but I will get better and faster in the coming weeks.

TMF SuperCap is very good. Customer said it ''smells clean'' in here.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I'm going to all VLM and and just 3-4 days a week. I'm just part time from now on.

No more HWE with TM. I'm tired of dragging hoses, maintenance, costly repairs, bad weather/freezing temps, another winter is coming, wind/ice/cold//snow/rain. It's no fun using a TM in the winter.

Starting Friday I'm all VLM. Will I go back to HWE. I'm not sure but I'm going to give VLM a good try.

I have a Orbot SprayBorg, Mytee OP Lite. Oreck Orbiter, 10'' CRB, 15'' CRB, Cyclo, Trinity Stepson, 13'' Hawk 175-300, 3 Gallon Spotting Machine, and some small orbitals for upholstery and a ''POS'' Trinity Freedom that I use to collect dust in my basement. I've been planning this for years and it's time.

Taking the sprayer off of the SprayBorg makes it better/lighter and much easier to use on residential.

Unfortunately, I sold my Challenger in the spring. I wish I would have keep it now. It was very good for small/tight areas.

I wonder how many customers I will lose. I think most of my customers will give it a try. I have scheduled one residential and one commercial so far.

I will be honest with customers and tell them if VLM will work for them. I won't take jobs that VLM can't handle.

Selling Points
No loud machines inside or outside
No open doors letting cold air in
No more long dry times
No hoses in house
1-2 hour dry times

System
1- Vacuum
2- Prespray
3- Scrub with CRB (when necessary)
4- Extract with OP cotton bonnets
5- Groom

I ordered some TMF SuperCap and I will give it a try. I also have Bonnet Pro and Vacaway.

View attachment 87721
Excellent supply has the best chemicals hands down.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I think all of the encaps from the major suppliers are about the same in cleaning ability.

I have some DS2 in my basement. I've had it for about 2 years but haven't used it. I will give it a try next week.

I haven't used Interlinks Encapuclean Green for many years but I want to try that again. I remember that it had a good scent and worked very good.

Reactions: smart n kleen

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I’ve been using BonnetPros Rocket prespray on all my synthetic upholstery jobs and some carpet cleaning jobs for almost a year now. I just bought another case that I plan on using on all synthetic carpet also and if it goes well it will be my go to on everything light to medium filthy stuff.
I will say that synthetic upholstery, if I had to estimate gets extracted 30-40% of the time. Mostly spray, scrub and buff......with Rocket But upholstery is only 20% of my business. LM has made upholstery a lot more of a pleasure to clean. I will also say that I LM clean only about 10% ish if I had to guess synthetic carpet. Rocket is an extraction prespray and I’ve gotten great results both LM and HWE with it. I like it’s versatility and being able to do both on the same job with it on carpet that’s not totally trashed.