FB If you turn the air conditioner on does that dry the carpets faster?

R

Ryan Gordon

If it’s cold outside turn the heat up. If it’s hot outside then the ac up if it’s 65 degrees and low humidity open the windows But fans in all 3 scenarios

R

Ryan Gordon

Fans are great but once air becomes saturated with moisture there’s no place else for the moisture to go you have to have some type of evaporation If you do a 20k sqft office building and ecap it and leave fans and their heat/ac is off chances are it’s still gonna be wet when they come in the next day.

S

Scott Summerlin

In my experience turning the A/C on helps a lot, however I would trust Shawn Bisaillon over me!

D

Dean Mahlstedt

Too many redpondents on this post need more education about drying. Both heat and A/C can aid drying. Air movement is also a key component. Typically winter in MN is the best season to dry carpet fast due to heat being continually added to the indoor environment and low RH. Meanwhile, if we clean carpet in a basement in the summer, and use the A/C to aid drying, it will actually slow the drying process due to coolness and lack of evaporation activity. Also note: the higher the SEER rating of an A/C system, the less capacity it has for condensing and removing moisture from air. An exception is when a whole house dehu has been installed in tandem with a high SEER A/C. Warm/hot air with air movement has greater capacity to dry in most cases. Many on this post would benefit doing greater study of water restoration techniques and the laws/principles of drying. Shawn Bisaillon is a great mentor in this industry.

A

Arturo Ortiz

Interesting answers I'm in Los Angeles When cold/raining What should I recommend my clients to do ? When hot and dry which is the norm here Same question

J

Joe Walsh

Dry heat, dry cool air or dry outdoor air, it depends on the weather.

P

Paul Schmadeke

Yes if it is hot enough outside For the air-conditioner to run

K

Kevin Noland

AC is a dehumidifier.. An air mover is an energy mover. Used together, at the right temperature, you can control your indoor climate and produce dry air to move across the wet carpet. You’ll speed up drying times.

A

Alan Weatherston

Yes. But no. AC does remove humidity out of the air, but you need to get it in the air out of the carpet first. More heat and air movement first before you run AC.

M

Mary A O'Marrah-DeSimone

E

Edward R. Hobbs

Hi Kyle, (WARNING - LONG response) This question is more complicated than it may sound at first glance. The simple answer to the question is yes an actively running AC reduces humidity in the air so does help dry carpet faster. Home AC’s have a risk of the evaporator frosting up once the temps get much below 70 so as a general rule, you should never leave a thermostat set colder than that when you are leaving a job (ok to have lower for a while during the time you are there as the frosting typically doesn’t happen until the humidity begins to drop). You also have to consider the fact that it only dehumidifies the air when the compressor is actually running, so when temps are not warm, it will typically run a short time to get the house to the set temp & then cut off & likely not come back on again. So the effect is minimal in the winter time. When am HVAC system is in heat mode, it is actually a good idea to switch the fan to constant ON position, but when in AC mode, this will actually have a negative effect on humidity. The reason why is that the water that has collected on the A coil while the compressor is running will be released back into the airstream if the air continues to flow through the coils after they are no longer cold from the compressor running. This is something we found out as a result of the water restoration industry. 30 years ago, we were advised to always leave the fan in the ON position to expedite drying, only to learn this was wrong in AC mode. If you look at the charts, within the range that is comfortable for human habitation, there is not much difference in the amount of moisture the air will hold so turning up heat, while it does help some, has limited benefit. If people ask, I tell them just to turn heat up to the upper end of what they consider comfortable for the rest of the day. Also another factor, as we enter spring is that when it is rainy & 70° outside, no matter whether you turn on the heat or the AC, neither one of them are going to run very much. So battling the high humidity at this time of year is extra difficult. Most homes today have HVAC systems that cannot run both the heat & the AC at the same time. So the only way to make systems run any significant amount in the scenario in the above paragraph is to run the heat first with the thermostat set to a warmer temp (maybe 78° for example) until the thermostat is satisfied which expands the air so it can absorb more moisture, then switch it to AC mode with thermostat on 70° to dehumidify the air. Cycling in this manor a couple of times can make a huge difference inn drying times in these scenarios, especially if you have cleaned an entire house of wall to wall carpet. When only one room was cleaned, the amount of air in the home can easily absorb the moisture from the room of damp carpet. If the home does have for example a hot water or electric baseboard heat & a separate central AC with separate thermostats, you can actually set the heat thermostat on 75 & the AC thermostat on 72 and speed dry the home. I know some folks will say these issues should never be an issue, but if you clean long enough, you will eventually in a more humid area of the country, you will eventually run into a situation where some help drying will be needed for any one of many possible reasons. For example, there have been times here when using fans to speed dry carpets, that when cleaning an entire large home, that eventually the air in the home will reach saturation & you see condensation begin to form on windows or mirrors. This is a sign that you need to dehumidify the air in the home so that drying can continue at an acceptable rate. I hope this lengthy explanation is helpful. Have a great week, ERH

Welcome

Welcome to the best carpet cleaning forum in the world!

Support

If you are in need of support, please use the live chat on the store for fast responses.