Lost a job today.. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Lost a job today..

JN37

Dec 6, 2019
Real Name
Justin Nicholas
Well, actually it was yesterday. I had a lady reach out to me to get a quote to do tile cleaning and a few sofas. I gave her a pretty decent price on everything and told her we could come out tomorrow (which would have been today, NYE). All seemed well until I got a message from her a few hours later stating that she decided to go somewhere else instead because she didn't want to pay our "service fee" that she found on our site. The only problem is we do not have a service fee. We do have a minimum (Like most companies) which is very clearly explained on our website and would not have been relevant to her anyway. By the time I was able to explain this to her myself, she had already booked somewhere else :(

Frustrating. Especially since she will likely end up paying more to use my competitor considering who the other local businesses here are and the quote I gave her. Oh well, can't win em all. On to the next I guess!

JN37

Dec 6, 2019
Real Name
Justin Nicholas
Pull your prices off your website. It’s the best thing I ever did.

My prices actually aren’t listed on our main site, this was through our booking feature. She was booking the job online after our conversation and saw the “ *Minimum “ that she assumed would be added on top of her job. Unfortunately she didn’t just ask me about it since she was confused

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
agree. no prices (even minimums) mentioned on the site.

Reactions: alexus

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Win some, lose some. Key is win more than you lose.

Really she sounds like the type of client you might be better off not having.

Reactions: JN37 and LeeRoy

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I see two sides of the price vs no price thing - those who are price shopping probably less likely to call; at same time, our online booking brings in a lot of business so who knows.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Do you have online booking? Just without prices?
lol been in business since 1981 and just got our website up a couple months ago. Not looking to get more business, only to make a presense. No online booking. No prices. No chat.

But seriously even if I were just starting out I would still not have any online booking, prices or chat.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I love online booking, it's a great moneymaker.

Reactions: JN37

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Hi Todd, what’s the rationale for not having prices on your website?

It limits you to the price you have posted.

When you walk into a job that is absolutely trashed do you charge the same as a job that is basically clean before you clean it? 5 rooms on the trashed job can take twice as long as 5 rooms on another job.

Also, are you going to charge the same price in a 1500 square foot house as you do in a 6000 square foot house? I charge by the area/room and rooms tend to be a lot bigger in a 6000 square foot house.

for upholstery are you going to charge the same price for a silk or velvet sofa as you would for an easily cleanable synthetic fabric?

How about tile & grout that has wax on it? Just yesterday I booked a job where I have to remove wax from tile & grout. I charged double my normal price.

There’s just too many variables in this business to post a one size fits all price.